- 1 Can you get a car key made without the original key?
- 2 Can I get a key made from the VIN number?
- 3 How do I get a new key made for my car?
- 4 Can you make a copy of a lost car key?
- 5 Does AutoZone make car keys?
- 6 What to do if you lose your car key and have no spare?
- 7 Who can cut a key from the VIN number?
- 8 What do you do if you’ve lost your car keys?
- 9 How much does it cost to get a car key made at Home Depot?
- 10 Are lost car keys covered by insurance?
- 11 Where can I make an extra key?
- 12 Can you make a copy of a car key at Walmart?
Can you get a car key made without the original key?
You can replace your lost car key at a locksmith, even if you don’t have the original key. Going straight to a locksmith may be more cost-effective than going to your car dealer, but you’ll need some information to make the process easier.
Can I get a key made from the VIN number?
Most vehicles in the United States from 1990 and up have key codes that are saved on file with the manufactures. As long as you can prove ownership of your vehicle a car key can be made with the Vehicle Identification Number aka VIN number. Once a key code is pulled from the VIN number a car key can be cut.
How do I get a new key made for my car?
Here are five ways you can get replacement car keys quickly and without it costing a fortune.
- An Auto Locksmith.
- Car Insurance Provider.
- Vehicle Breakdown Service.
- Franchised Car Dealership.
- Local Garage.
Can you make a copy of a lost car key?
Any locksmith, hardware store, or the dealership can make a copy of a basic car key. However, it is harder and more expensive to copy the laser and sidewinder keys that use chips inside them. You may need a specialist auto locksmith to program a transponder to the car or remote key.
Does AutoZone make car keys?
Blank key prices range from $3 to $6, and AutoZone can cut and copy keys for your car. AutoZone also sells remote key fobs and transponder key fobs ranging in price from $15 to $90. You might still need to visit a dealership or locksmith to program your new car key fob.
What to do if you lose your car key and have no spare?
Car key replacement can be handled in a few different ways.
- You can go to the dealership – Most expensive option, not for emergencies.
- Do it yourself – Need the tools and knowledge but still possible.
- Call a locksmith – Can be there quickly, will get the job done, less expensive than dealership.
Who can cut a key from the VIN number?
The vehicle identification number, or VIN, is what’s designated for each cut in the key. Only the owner of a vehicle can make car key from VIN number. So don’t worry, your vehicle is completely safe.
What do you do if you’ve lost your car keys?
If you happen to lose both of your car keys, then get it towed to either a dealership or locksmith and be sure to take note of your car’s VIN and registration information as you might need to provide the shop with that information, along with your personal information, so they can verify that you are the owner.
How much does it cost to get a car key made at Home Depot?
Home Depot does have a limited selection of transponder chip keys that can be cloned at some Home Depot locations. Home depot transponder chip car keys range from $39 – $80. Keep in mind many car keys now have buttons on them for keyless entry access which home depot does not sell.
Are lost car keys covered by insurance?
While lost car keys aren’t necessarily covered by car insurance, most policies will provide some coverage if your keys are stolen. Comprehensive insurance generally includes coverage for stolen keys, providing a benefit to help cover the cost of replacing or recoding the keys and locking mechanisms of your vehicle.
Where can I make an extra key?
Here are the most common home improvement stores where you can have keys made.
- Home Depot. Home Depot is one of the biggest home improvement stores in the country and offers key cutting at every location.
- Ace Hardware.
- True Value Hardware.
- Rite Aid.
Can you make a copy of a car key at Walmart?
Walmart does offer car key copying services for a limited range of car keys at the MinuteKey kiosks as of 2021. Walmart can only duplicate older metal car keys that have no electronic transponders or RFID chips in them. Prices for copying car keys at Walmart range from $2 – $6 depending on the key type.