- 1 Can you get a second car key made?
- 2 How do I get another spare car key?
- 3 Can I have two car keys?
- 4 Why are car key fobs so expensive?
- 5 Does AutoZone make key copies?
- 6 Can you get a car key made with VIN number?
- 7 How much does it cost to replace a car key without the original?
- 8 Are lost car keys covered by insurance?
- 9 Where can I make an extra key?
- 10 How much does it cost to get a car key made at Home Depot?
- 11 Should you use both car keys?
- 12 Do you need a second car key?
Can you get a second car key made?
Your dealership will be able to clone your spare key, and make you up a new one without having to change anything inside the car. An auto locksmith can also do this for you, and often at a considerably cheaper rate, so it always pays to shop around.
How do I get another spare car key?
If you lose it: You could call a locksmith, who can come and make you a new key on the spot. In some cases—an unusual or older vehicle—a locksmith may not be able to help. You might need to buy a new ignition lock cylinder and key from the dealer or an independent repair shop.
Can I have two car keys?
Most dealerships provide you with two car keys when you buy a new vehicle, but when vehicles are traded in not all motorists remember to provide both of those keys. Therefore, when these vehicles are resold, they may not be provided with two keys.
Why are car key fobs so expensive?
As we said, the physical car keys and remote fobs are miniature electronic devices. As such, there is circuitry inside the key, as well as a battery to power the key’s functions. Therefore, the actual replacement key can be quite expensive on its own.
Does AutoZone make key copies?
Blank key prices range from $3 to $6, and AutoZone can cut and copy keys for your car. AutoZone also sells remote key fobs and transponder key fobs ranging in price from $15 to $90. You might still need to visit a dealership or locksmith to program your new car key fob.
Can you get a car key made with VIN number?
Most vehicles in the United States from 1990 and up have key codes that are saved on file with the manufactures. As long as you can prove ownership of your vehicle a car key can be made with the Vehicle Identification Number aka VIN number. Once a key code is pulled from the VIN number a car key can be cut.
How much does it cost to replace a car key without the original?
If you have an older car, you can replace your car key for $3 to $7. A new key can be more expensive if you have a newer car with an electronic key or another specialized car key. Replacement car keys with chips, transponders, or fobs can cost up to $250, depending on your area and labor costs.
Are lost car keys covered by insurance?
While lost car keys aren’t necessarily covered by car insurance, most policies will provide some coverage if your keys are stolen. Comprehensive insurance generally includes coverage for stolen keys, providing a benefit to help cover the cost of replacing or recoding the keys and locking mechanisms of your vehicle.
Where can I make an extra key?
Here are the most common home improvement stores where you can have keys made.
- Home Depot. Home Depot is one of the biggest home improvement stores in the country and offers key cutting at every location.
- Ace Hardware.
- True Value Hardware.
- Rite Aid.
How much does it cost to get a car key made at Home Depot?
Home Depot does have a limited selection of transponder chip keys that can be cloned at some Home Depot locations. Home depot transponder chip car keys range from $39 – $80. Keep in mind many car keys now have buttons on them for keyless entry access which home depot does not sell.
Should you use both car keys?
2) Peace of mind – Even if you are the only driver and an additional key is not being used, it still makes sense to have a spare car key stored somewhere safe. 3) Easier for two drivers – Frequently cars are shared between two people and using just one key can increase the risk of the key becoming lost.
Do you need a second car key?
Having a spare key on hand can save you the cost of a new window or a new door lock, which can be considerable. You’ll certainly spend less on the spare key than you do on any potential car repairs.