- 1 What does the first digit of an OBD II trouble code indicate?
- 2 How do you use a car diagnostic tool?
- 3 How do I find my cars code?
- 4 Where can I read car codes for free?
- 5 What does 0 DTC mean on a code reader?
- 6 What are fault codes?
- 7 How do I check my car for problems with my computer?
- 8 What is the best diagnostic tool?
- 9 Will AutoZone do a free diagnostic?
- 10 How can I read my engine code without a reader?
- 11 What are P codes?
What does the first digit of an OBD II trouble code indicate?
The first digit in the code will tell you if the code is a generic or manufacturer specific code. Codes starting with 0 as the first digit are generic or global codes. It means that they are adopted by all cars that follow the OBD2 standard.
How do you use a car diagnostic tool?
Read the Car Code(s)
- Turn on the diagnostic tool. Basic tools should have a simple power button somewhere on the unit.
- Access the diagnostic scanner. Some scanners will automatically start to read the car codes once powered on.
- Record the data.
- Optional: Clear the codes.
How do I find my cars code?
Find it in the lower corner of your windshield on the driver’s side. Your VIN number is your vehicle identification number and you can find your engine size by VIN number. In the series of numbers and letters, the tenth from the left denotes the model year and the eighth is the engine codes.
Where can I read car codes for free?
If you have a problem with your car and you don’t know what it is, most auto part stores (such as AutoZone, Pep Boys and Advance Auto Parts) will provide a free diagnostic code reading. It is also called an OBD reading.
What does 0 DTC mean on a code reader?
0 – Fuel and air metering and auxiliary emission controls. 1 – Fuel and air metering.
What are fault codes?
Diagnostic trouble codes (or fault codes) are codes that are stored by the on-board computer diagnostic system. These are stored in response to a problem found in the car by the system.
How do I check my car for problems with my computer?
Scan tools connect to your car’s On-Board Diagnostic II (OBD-II) system, letting you peer under your car’s hood without even opening it. They easily plug into your car’s OBD-II port — usually located under the steering wheel — and allow you to read information from its computer system.
What is the best diagnostic tool?
Skip to: Best Professional Diagnostic Scanners
- #1 – Autel Scanner MaxiCOM MK808 OBD2 Scanner.
- #2 – LAUNCH CRP129E OBD2 Scan Tool.
- #3 – Actron CP9690 Elite OBD2 AutoScanner.
- #4 – Autel ML629 OBD2 Scanner.
- #5 – BlueDriver Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool.
- #6 – OBDeleven Pro Diagnostic Scan Tool.
- #7 – ANCEL FX2000 Vehicle OBD2 Scanner.
Will AutoZone do a free diagnostic?
AutoZone does. If your light is on, and you are wondering why, head down to your local AutoZone where one of our store associates can help diagnose the issue through our free Fix Finder service.
How can I read my engine code without a reader?
It’s As Easy As 1-2-3. You will need a paperclip without plastic covering the outside, jumping wires, the repair manual, and a pen and paper. Flip your car’s ignition on and off a couple of times without cranking the engine and finish with the key in the on position. Your car will then check for any saved trouble codes
What are P codes?
P-codes are similar to zip codes and postal codes and are part of a data management system that provides unique reference codes to individual locations. These codes provide a systematic means of linking and exchanging data and analyzing relationships between them.